Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sooooo many shingles (sigh)

Well, things in 1:1 life are getting busier, so I haven't had much time for the 1:12 fun one. However I'm determined to get the house finished, so I can relax and do the little bits and pieces here and there for the interior without each of them being such a big project. So, back to the exterior for the final steps.

My electrical plan went hay-"wire" in the building process, so alot of the wiring ended up through the roof, literally. I  had to make an extension of the tower to cover up the outlets on the back of it. It's not perfect but I think it'll do. I can pop it open any time I need to make adjustments.

Now I need to cover the top of the roof with something - any ideas? I'd like it to be all one piece, flexible enough to lay flat over the wires and be removeable as well. Now on to the shingle cutting: I didn't really like the fishscale shape - too "gingerbready" - so I'm cutting thim all in a hexagonal shape before I dye them gray.

Have a great day!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010


I just wanted to welcome all new followers and visitors! I'm thrilled to have you here and especially look forward to checking out your blogs as well.

I hope you all have a great day!

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Quick and Easy Roses
(ya, it's cheatin')

Remember the roses I had in my flower basket in the last post? I bought packages of these in the beginning stages of dollhouse building and later realized they are too big and not especially realistic. Well, I was looking at them today and could see a smaller better rose just crying to get out. :) Sooooo... here is a little how-to on renovating your Michael's (or other similar) packaged flowers.

The original flower.

Use tweezers or jewellery pliers to gently remove the greenery and as many layers of petals as you wish. Try to keep the greenery intact to re-use. The more petals you remove the more like a bud it will be.

Here are the resulting bits.

Cut out a bit like this with the middle hole intact.

Slide the new smaller greens back onto the stem and glue it to the underside of the rose...

...like so.

From the leftover green stuff cut out one or two (or more) little leaf-like shapes.

...and glue them to the stem.

Voila! Looks much better, eh?
Saves me yet another trip to Michael's to buy flower making supplies, 'cuz heaven knows what all I'd come home with and spend another boatload of money on my silly little hobby...

Saturday, March 6, 2010

a Tisket a Tasket...an itty-bitty basket

I couldn't help but answer Sabiha's question about my second basket with a picture. This is a flower gathering basket with flowers that are a tad too big for scale. However, you get the idea.

...one inch in diameter to be exact.
My first attempt at mini basket weaving - it's fun! 

Friday, March 5, 2010

Beacon Hill Interior Finished!

Well, I've finally finished the interior trim on the house! What a chore...and so challenging to stain everything. I have a few bits and pieces to finish off, but it's more or less done.

I like taking pictures from all kinds of odd angles as you can tell.

I'm thinking of making window seats in both the bay windows on the main floor, but I need to mull that over a bit.

I would also like to say a warm hello and welcome to all new followers!